Union University is partnering with Valore Campus, LLC to bring back a physical bookstore to campus. The Bulldog Depot will be located in the Student Union Building (SUB) and will carry Union apparel, textbooks, and school supplies. The Bulldog Depot opened in July 2022.
An innovative program, The Buster Book Bundle, will provide most undergraduate and graduate students with an all-encompassing, affordable textbook rental program that includes all required textbooks, lab manuals, and access codes. The Bulldog Book Bundle is estimated to save the average student 35% to 50% on textbooks per semester and ensures that students will have their required course materials on the first day of class. Students will automatically be enrolled in this textbook rental program, and the cost is $25 per credit hour. If students wish to obtain their course materials through another source, they must opt out of the rental program by waiving their textbook rental fee through Self-Service.
How does it work?
- Register for your classes, and the Bulldog Depot will start preparing your course materials for the upcoming semester.
- One month before classes start, you will receive an email instructing you to select your delivery preference (in-store pickup or shipped directly to you).
- An email notification will be sent to your Union University email address when your order is ready for pick up or when it ships.
- If you select digital materials, they will be provided electronically through Canvas, our Learning Management System, or email.
How do I enroll in the program?
- All eligible students will be automatically enrolled in The Buster Book Bundle.
What is included in the program?
- The program provides all required textbooks, lab manuals, access codes, course packs, and electronic book versions to eligible students.
What if I do not study at the Jackson campus?
- Students at our Germantown and Hendersonville campuses will still be able to participate in The Buster Book Bundle. Students will have the option to have the materials picked up at their respective campuses or have the materials shipped to their homes (shipping fee applies). Students in online courses will have the option to pick up the materials at a campus location or shipped to their homes (shipping fee does not apply).
What is the cost?
- Students will be charged a $25 per credit hour textbook rental fee for classes with a required textbook. For example, a student enrolled for 16 hours would pay $400.
What is excluded from the program?
- The program does not include consumables that cannot be returned and reused, such as lab goggles, dissections kits, molecular model kits, or engineering kits.
- Pharmacy and MCUTS classes are not included in this program. Books for Nursing course sections are purchased rather than rented from semester to semester. Therefore, pricing is handled differently for Nursing textbooks and will be provided by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
What if I audit a course?
- Audited courses are not included and must be purchased outside of The Buster Book Bundle, but may still be purchased directly from the Bulldog Depot.
What if my course does not require a textbook?
- Students will not be charged the $25 per credit hour textbook rental fee for courses without a required textbook.
What if I want to keep the textbook at the end of the semester?
- If you want to keep the textbook after the course ends, you will be given a “buy back” option for the cost of the textbook. The $25 per credit hour amount you have already paid will be deducted from the “buy back” price.
How do I opt-out/waive the textbook rental fee?
- Students may opt out of the program by waiving their textbook rental fee through Self-Service. The waiver form will be available 60 days before the start of the term.
- The waiver must be completed each semester, three weeks before the start of the semester or two days after you register for classes, whichever comes last.
- The decision to opt-out is final for the current semester.
- You cannot choose the courses for which you want to opt into. You are either opted-in for all courses or opted-out for all courses.
Is The Buster Book Bundle the only way I can purchase my textbooks?
- No, Union University provides students the opportunity to obtain necessary course materials from any chosen source.
What if I drop or add a course?
- If you drop a course(s), please bring, or mail the book(s) back to the Bulldog Depot within two business days.
- If you add a course(s), contact the Bulldog Depot to pick up the additional book(s) for your added course(s).
- Please note that you will have an additional charge for the textbook rental fee if you add a course.
When are my textbook rentals due back to the Bulldog Depot or need to be mailed?
- The deadline to return all rental textbooks is the last day of finals. Students will receive email reminders about the rental deadline to their Union University email account.
What if I withdraw from a course or the university?
- Refunds will be provided for unopened materials within 30 days from the start of classes or at the end of the add period, whichever comes first.
I like to highlight and make notes in the margins of my textbooks. Can I still do this?
Will I be charged for damaged or lost books?
- If you lose a book, return a damaged book in unsellable condition, or do not return a book, you will be responsible for paying for the replacement cost.
RETURNING YOUR BOOKS
Can I buy my rental textbook?
- Yes, the program allows you to purchase textbooks at a reduced rate during the return period.
Do I need to return books if they are for a continuation course?
- Notify the Bulldog Depot, and they will work with you to keep the same textbook throughout your continuation course.